Italian apple, cranberry and ricotta pies (samoosas)
Thank you Nita West for this delectable samoosa recipe. It is perfect for any picnic, road trip or just a lovely stay-at-home stack.
30 minutes soak, 10 minutes prep
- Phyllo pastry / puff pastry
- Fresh ricotta cheese (2.5 cups) (pinch of salt if you made your own with buttermilk and whole milk)
- Brown sugar (3-4 Tbs)
- Dried apples (1 cup)
*If you like your filling filled with apple, you can even double up on the dried apples.
- Dried cranberries (3/4 cup)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 small egg + Egg yolk
- Apple juice (1/2 cup)
- 2-3 Tbs brandy (optional)
- Butter for brushing onto phyllo pastry.
- Cut your apple pieces into smaller pieces. Soak your dried apple and cranberries in your apple juice and brandy for half an hour. Omit brandy if you prefer not to use alcohol.
- Drain all the liquid from your apple and cranberry mix before mixing it into your ricotta.
- Add some lemon zest, your egg and egg yolk and brown sugar. Mix well.
- Preheat your oven to 175 degrees Celsius.
- After defrosting your phyllo pastry, cut into long strips for rolling into your samoosa shapes. The wider your strips the bigger your shape will be.
- Brush the phyllo pastry lightly with butter before filling and rolling them. Brush the top before placing on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
* If you are using puff pastry, cut into squares and seal the edges after folding over into a triangle.
Bake for 20-25 minutes.