Montagu dates are preservative-free and 100% natural. Deliciously sweet, Low GI, high fibre snacks that keep you satisfied for longer.
Health benefits of dates
- Dates have a low glycaemic index (GI value). Low GI foods, when eaten regularly in moderate portions at a time, generally provide a slow release of energy, improve blood glucose control, may elicit a higher feeling of satiety and may decrease the risk of non-communicable diseases in the long term.
- Dates are high in dietary fibre. The soluble dietary fibre in the dates play a role in glucose absorption and maintaining a healthy blood cholesterol level, while the insoluble dietary fibre helps to keep the gut healthy and contributes to regular laxation, thereby helping help to treat constipation.
- Dates are a source of copper. By being a source of copper, dates contribute to the normal functioning of the immune system and to the normal maintenance of bones, teeth, hair, skin and nails.
- Available both fresh and dried, dates can be substituted for raisins in baked goods, combined with nuts and rolled oats in granola.
- It can be used as a sweet counterpoint in chicken- or lamb-based stews.
- Pitted dates can be stuffed with fillings such as almonds, walnuts, candied orange and cream cheese.
- They can also be chopped and added to fruit salad.
DID YOU KNOW?
Date or date palm (Phoenix dactylifera L.) is one of the oldest fruit crops grown in (among others), the dry regions of the Arabian Peninsula, North Africa, and the Middle East. Montagu’s dates are imported from Iran. Dates are a major food and income source for local populations in the Middle East and North Africa. In addition to serving directly as a food source, dates are packed and processed in a number of ways, and other parts of the tree are used for various purposes. (Chao and Krueger, 2007)