Crispy Pistachio Cups (baklava)
July 31, 2019 / / No Comments
These crispy pistachio cups (baklava) are going to simply make your day! Each satisfyingly crunchy bit is a mouthful of happiness.
A special thanks to Nita West for this yummy recipe.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tbs honey *optional
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 Star anise 1 lemon
- ½ cup butter (melted)
- 1 package phyllo dough (thawed) (250g for 12 x cupcake pan)
- 1/2 cup pistachio nuts (finely chopped) *(you can add blanched almonds to mix)
- 1/2 cup pistachio nuts (roughly chopped)
- Add your water, sugar, star anise, cinnamon stick and honey to a small saucepan on medium heat. Zest some lemon peel into mixture.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, then add in the juice of half a lemon. (less if you prefer sweet, more if you like it zesty)
- Set aside to cool.
- Heat your oven to 175 Celsius.
- The phyllo pastry sometimes comes in 500g double packs. You can make two batches of a 12cup cupcake pans.
- I cut my phyllo in squares 12x12cm or 11x11cm for the final row.
- Use the slightly bigger squares to start with.
- Lightly butter your cupcake pan.
- Lightly butter one square of phyllo, and then place a second on top at 90-degree angle. Lightly butter top layer before placing inside the cupcake holder.
- Once the pan is filled, add a teaspoon of fine nut mix to each cup.
Repeat step 2
- Remember to press the phyllo into the corners to make space for the nut mixture.For the final layers you should have 2 or 3 squares left, butter and place on top of one another. Place phyllo in cupcake pan and top with the final layer of roughly cut pistachio nuts.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Once you remove your phyllo cups, quickly spoon some of your syrup mixture in them and over the flower petals. They should make a crispy sound when the syrup absorbs.
- Let them cool and enjoy.