The ultimate comfort food!
This Sticky date and Almond Pudding from the lovely Katelyn Williams of The Kate Tin is served with beautiful rooibos-stewed peaches. Bliss!
Serves 6-8 people
- 125g butter, softened
- 250g caster sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 185g flour
- 2ml baking powder
- 1ml salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 cup Montagu dates, chopped
- ½ cup Montagu whole almonds, chopped
- 1/2 cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- 15g butter
- 100ml brandy (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 cup strong rooibos tea
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 200g Montagu Dried Peaches
- 100g Montagu almonds, toasted and chopped, to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (conventional) or 160°C for fan-forced ovens.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs.
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Pour boiling water over bicarbonate of soda and dates and mix.
- Stir the dates into the butter mixture. Stir in nuts and dry ingredients. Spoon into greased tins and bake at 180°C for 20-30 minutes or until springy to the touch.
- Make the syrup by heating the sugar syrup and butter. Stir in brandy and vanilla. Pour over hot pudding.
- Heat the tea, sugar and add the cinnamon in a small saucepan until dissolved. Add the peaches, remove from the heat and allow to infuse until cool and the peaches swell up.
- Serve the peaches with the pudding, toasted flaked almonds and vanilla custard, if desired.