Low carb, Gluten free Mango bars with a pistachio crumb base
We’re convinced these low carb, gluten free Mango bars are going to be your new favourite snack! Are you always looking for a healthy snack that tastes good and treats your body to good nutrients? Here’s something that will help you stay fuller for longer.
Ingredients For the Crust:
- Ground up pistachio (1/2 cup)
- Almond flour (1/2 cup)
- ½ cup butter (melted)
- 2 Tbs Xylitol
- Pinch of salt if using unsalted butter
- 4 eggs
- 2 Tbs xylitol
- 1-2 medium juice from a lemon
- Optional: 1Tbs lemon zest
- ¾ cup of almond flour
- 1 cup mango puree*
- pinch of salt
- 100 g dried mango pieces
- 1 cup of water
- bring to a boil & simmer for +/- 20 min until most of the water is absorbed.
- Puree in food processor. *Sieve optional
- Ground up your pistachios in coffee grinder or food processor.
- Mix with almond flour, xylitol and a pinch of salt.
- Add melted butter to the dry mixture.
- Line a 8×8” (20x20cm) pan with baking paper, and evenly spread crumb mixture.
- Bake 5-8 minutes on 175 degrees until lightly browned.
- Cool for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile mix together your eggs and xylitol, stir in the lemon juice and some added zest if you prefer, and pinch of salt.
- Add your egg mixture to your mango puree and blend on low speed or just a few pulses in food processor to combine.
- Fold in the almond flour.
- Pour the filling onto the crust and bake 30-40 minutes at 160 degrees, until set.
- Cool for at least 2 hours before cutting bars.
- Top with toasted coconut flakes, and leftover ground up-pistachio before serving.
*You can pass the mango puree through a sieve to remove some of the fibres from the puree, but they are healthy to eat and fine to leave in.
Fibre from mango, or other foods, adds bulk to your belly. It sits in your digestive tract for a while, giving you a full feeling to tide you over until your next meal. Fibre is also essential for healthy bowels. It prevents diverticular disease