Apricot Easter nest cookies
The kids will love making these sweet little apricot cookies each topped with a chocolate nest and speckled eggs! Thank you Teresa from Cupcakes and Couscous for this fun recipe.
- 100g butter
- 100ml castor sugar
- 1 large egg
- 5ml (1 tsp) vanilla extract
- 375ml (1½ cups) flour
- 2.5ml (½ tsp) baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 125ml (½ cup) Montagu Turkish apricots, chopped
- Flour for dusting
- 375ml (1½ cups) Montagu coconut flakes
- 160g milk chocolate
- Speckled eggs, to decorate
- To make the cookies place the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Cream for a few minutes until pale and fluffy.
- Mix in the egg and vanilla extract.
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt to the bowl and mix to form a soft dough.
- Mix in the apricots.
- Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 180ºC and grease a baking tray.
- Lightly flour your work surface and roll out the cookie dough.
- Cut out 7cm fluted circles and arrange them on the tray.
- Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes until golden.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and leave to cool completely.
- To decorate the cookies, use a food processor to chop the coconut flakes (you can also do this by hand).
- Melt the milk chocolate, add the coconut and mix well.
- Spoon the chocolate coconut onto the cookies and use the back of a teaspoon to make small hollows in the coconut to create a nest shape.
- Pop a few speckled eggs into each nest and leave to set.
Store in an airtight container and enjoy!