Who doesn’t love a custard tart? But the gluten and sugar is not for everyone and we’ve got you covered. Give these Almond Flour Custard Tarts with Candied Pecans a go. They’re scrumptious and yummy!
Thank you Nita West for this great recipe!
(17 g carbs total, 0% sugar)
250ml cream (5g carbs) 125ml full cream milk (5.5g carbs)
4 egg yolks 2 tsp vanilla essence (1g carb)
1 tsp Xanthan gum
4 Tbs Erythritol / Xylitol (50g)
125ml full cream milk (5.5g carbs)
- Whisk the egg yolks xanthan gum and erythritol in a bowl, add in cold 125ml milk to loosen mixture.
- Use electric mixer to combine thoroughly.
- Combine 125ml milk and 250ml cream in a medium saucepan. Bring the saucepan to a simmer, stirring constantly for 5 minutes or until hot (do not allow to boil). Remove saucepan from the heat.
- Pour the warm milk mixture over the egg yolks in small quantities, mixing constantly.
- Return mixture to the saucepan over low heat, and cook for 15-20 mins stirring constantly until the mixture thickens.
- Serve warm or cold.
Shortbread pastry pie crust
(17g carbs: 8.5g carbs per tart shell)
Makes: 2 x 12cm diameter tartlet pans (Gluten free, sugar free)
- ½ cups almond flour (12g carbs)
- ¼ cup desiccated coconut (grind to flour texture) (5g carbs)
- 2 Tbsp Erythritol
- ¼ tsp Xanthan gum
- 2 Tbsp salted butter (30g butter)(melted)
- Use coffee grinder to turn desiccated coconut into a fine flour texture.
- Place Almond flour, Xanthan gum and coconut into mixing bowl.
- Melt butter and Erythritol in microwave for a few seconds. Bring mixture together to form a pastry dough.
- Preheat oven to 160 ºC (fan)
- Spray tartlet tins with olive oil baking spray.
- Line 2 tartlet tins with shortbread pastry. Prick with fork before baking. (Can use a cup to press corners nice and sharp)
- Bake 15-20min (Cover loosely with foil if tarts are turning too brown at 10 minutes.)
NOTE: Texture is soft and spongy, let it cool for an hour before removing from tartlet tins. Hardens up like regular crust when cooled.
Candied pecans Crunchy
(low fat, zero sugar)
- 1tbs water
- 1 leftover egg white (from custard)
- 1 tsp chia
- 1 cup pecan nuts (14g carbs)
- 1 tbs Erythritol to 1 tsp cinnamon ratio
- sprinkle of salt
- Mix Erythritol, cinnamon, and salt together in a bowl.
- Whisk egg white and water together until frothy.
- Cover pecans in the egg white mixture.
- Drain excess egg white.
- Sprinkle evenly with cinnamon mixture, coat well.
- Spinkle with chia seeds.
- Bake in the preheated oven, stirring every 15 minutes, until pecans are evenly browned.
- *Oven at 100 ºC (fan), 40-45 min
These work great as a dessert jar too!