“This is one of the most delicious Christmas cakes I have tasted in a long time. I got the recipe from my sister, who sent me the cake in a beautiful tin from the Free State one Christmas -one of my favourite gifts ever!” – Chef Mynhardt Joubert. Thank you for this stunning Fruity Christmas Cake recipe!
Servings : large cake
- 250 ml water
- 310 ml soft brown sugar
- 1 kg Montagu Dried Fruit and Nuts fruit cake mix
- 250 g Montagu Dried Fruit and Nuts dates chopped
- 250 g Montagu Dried Fruit and Nuts golden sultanas
- 250 g Montagu Dried Fruit and Nuts cashew and macadamia nuts roughly chopped
- 7 ml baking soda
- 250 g Butter
- 100 g whole red Moir’s cherries
- 100 g whole green Moir’s cherries
- 5 eggs beaten
- 20 ml vanilla extract
- 125 ml KWV Brandy
- 625 ml Sasko self-raising flour
- 5 ml salt
- 5 ml cinnamon powder
- Preheat the oven to 120 °C (250 °F) and butter the inside of a high, 25cm cake tin.
- Line the tin with three layers of baking paper and butter the inside again.
- Slowly heat the first eight ingredients to boiling point and let it simmer for five minutes.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and let it cool. Add the cherries.
- Combine the eggs, vanilla and brandy together, and add it to the mixture.
- Add the flour, cinnamon and salt, and mix well.
- Spoon the mixture into the pan and bake for two hours.
- Let the cake cool in the pan and turn it out. Sprinkle a bit of brandy over the cake and place it in an airtight container.
- Sprinkle more brandy over regularly to keep the cake moist.