Apple cinnamon roses with walnut layered pastry
These apple cinnamon roses with walnut layered pastry are a very special treat. Soft and tasty yet crispy on the outside. Each bite simply feels like home.
45-60 minutes to bake
Makes: 6-7 roses
1 cup Montagu Walnuts (ground up finely)
Vegan Puff pastry (home made) / Woolworths (V) Ready Rolled Puff Pastry 400g *thawed
Cinnamon sugar (2Tbs sugar to 1tsp cinnamon)
Thinly sliced apples x 2 large
*lemon and water to place apple slices*
1 x egg (eggwash) or vegan butter as a replacement
INGREDIENTS: (easy homemade vegan pastry)
1 tsp sea salt
320g vegan butter
190ml cold water
METHOD (for the pastry):
1. Sift flour in large bowl, mix in salt.
2. Cut cold butter into chunks and mix in with flour until you have a crumb texture, don’t overwork. Add small amounts of water at a time and incorporate until you have a dough. Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
3. Roll out your dough and fold into thirds. Place in fridge.
4. Repeat this step 2 more times. The pastry is ready to use.
5. Roll out dough and cut/fold into 3 layers with grounded up walnuts sprinkled between them, close off the last layer and roll out for final pastry layer.
METHOD (putting it all together):
1. Cut apple slices thinly and evenly with knife or with mandolin.
2. Place into cold water with lemon juice to stop them from turning brown.
3. Cut dough into long strips about 28cm long and 5-6cm wide (6-7 strips in total).
4. Remove from water and microwave for 1 minute until soft, but not mushy. You want them to bend without breaking but still have a good structure.
5. Egg wash or brush with melted (v) butter over your pastry and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
6. Place apple slices on the top half of the strip, overlapping each other and let the skin part stick out on top of the pastry.
7. Fold the bottom half of dough back onto apple slices. Make sure the apple skin side is sticking out at the top to form the rose petals.
8. Egg wash/brush with butter over the dough again and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar for extra sweetness, then roll up gently before placing into a lightly greased cupcake pan. 8. Egg wash/brush with butter over the dough again and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar for extra sweetness, then roll up gently before placing into a lightly greased cupcake pan.
9. Sprinkle with more cinnamon sugar on top (optional)
10. Bake 45 minutes at 190 degrees or till golden brown.
11. Decorate with icing sugar.
Note: The apples roll easier when they are still warm. Do not wrap them too tightly, because the pastry needs to expand.
If you found your roses are too large for the cupcake pan, then just drop them into some ramekins that are lightly greased.